Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Setback

        Sometime last week (Thursday night?) I awoke to horrific abdominal pain..... so much pain that I could not tell where it was coming from.  I soon found out that I had an ulcerative erosion in the upper intestine. Two years ago, after several tests, it was discovered that my entire stomach lining was eroded: erosive gastritis. My Dr. said that it could possibly be that my immune system was attacking my stomach lining. (To me, this was obvious because of my prior diagnoses of interstitial cystitis and ulcerative colitis.)
       To further complicate matters, the required diet for this crisis is clear  liquids. This diet does nothing to address my functional hypoglycemia: chronic low blood sugar. With low blood sugar, you can't simply eat sugar. You have to eat things that metabolize slowly, like whole grains and proteins. When your blood sugar is in the 60's, or lower, you basically can't function. It's like putting your computer in "safe mode". You are very limited in cognition, perception and energy.  So I did the only thing I could do:   I just laid around our 750 square-foot home in a fog. Occasionally I noticed cobwebs and dust bunnies that I  do not have the energy to clean. Maybe I should name them...
     Somewhere in the lost time and fog of doing nothing, I have sprained my left thumb. I am starting to eat whole foods today. I hope this episode ends soon.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should name the dust bunnies. : )

    That sounds like awful pain. I know what its like to have to fast while also trying to deal with hypoglycemia.

    I hope you are getting lots of good rest and that you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete