Friday, January 29, 2010

The Art of Illness


Chained Angel 1, oil, acrylic, molding paste on canvas.

Above is painting I did in 1998/99. It's part of a diptych I did for a painting class. I did another painting along with this one, with the same theme: a chained angel. I will upload a photo of the other painting in the future.

The painting is an expression of how I feel in this body with this mess of entangled illnesses.
Blood and bone- rawness.
The wings are infinite possibilities, yet they cannot overcome the weight and immobility of the chains.
The sheer grief of knowing you will never actualize your own potential.
And so it is, while struggling with a wretched disease of the immune system.

It's been 11 years since the paintings, and I can no longer paint. My arms and upper body too weak, and the Sjogren's Syndrome has caused my eyesight to deteriorate.

All is not lost: I am struggling to blog and share. I hope to give others a voice-
a way of expressing their journey.

I am also fortunate: I recently was in a spate of griping and complaining.
"Everything hurts! My skin even hurts, my hair roots hurt. I ache."
My husband got very quiet
He looked at me very seriously... I shut up.
"You're still beautiful." he said, as he started the car.
My hero.

1 comment:

  1. your paintings are moving and reflective of what I witness you experiencing.Whatever changes to your body that this illness may bring will NEVER impair the beauty of your generous and loving soul.That light is unquenchable

    ReplyDelete