Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Down But Not Completely Out

I have been too sick to leave my home since December 22. Too weak, too tired, etc...
In fact, there are some days that I get out of bed, eat breakfast-- and crash from exhaustion. Between the antibiotics and the infections I am fighting, I have problems standing up without being dizzy.

I did read a fantastic book today. Listening to the Rhino: Violence and Healing in a Scientific Age, by Jungian analyst Janet O. Dallet. It's as much about visionary healing as it is about the American shadow that is behind our nation's epidemic violence.
She makes a great case against certain classes of drugs that are misused.

Which brings me to this:

I am often asked why I resist taking all the drugs that have been prescribed to me, which include dextroamphetamines, and ergotamine (LSD),and myriad anti-depressants. I am chemically sensitive and have to be very, very careful what I breathe, or ingest.
Ultimately it is summed up well in this passage quoted by Dallett (page 125), from Huxley's Brave New World. The character Savage is speaking: "I don't want comfort, I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.....I claim the right to be unhappy."

2 comments:

  1. Try Carolyn Myss's Defy gravity. Got it downloaded onto my Kindle. What I have read so far is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion!I'll have to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete